Monday, May 3, 2010

Going green...


I design all the quilts I want to make on Electric Quilt
before I purchase fabric and begin construction.
Here are drawings of two 100" x 100" green quilts
 I am currently working on.

This one features "deviled eggs on a tray".
So far I have hand appliqued a golden orange yolk
onto each of the 23 egg whites
(made from Kona white cotton).

(Two eggs are missing because...
when have you ever gotten the deviled egg tray 
to the table with all the eggs on it? 
People are always grabbing one off
 as you approach the serving table.)

Now I need to applique the egg whites
onto the large piece of "hostas" background.
Isn't this "hosta" fabric (for the tray) excellent!


My current dilemna is to find a way to keep the hostas
from showing through the egg white fabric.

When this quilt top is completed,
I had planned to stencil "paprika" on the yolks.
Someone recently suggested "pepper" instead,
so now I am considering a second quilt featuring fried eggs on a tray
which I might have to name "Over Easy".
If I do make it,

I would probably have to use some brown/tan striped fabric
and add some 3D rippled bacon strips.
(And yes, I do sleep under all my quilts.)

The next quilt I am prepping for is the sheep in the pasture below.
The sheep will be foundation pieced and sashed
so that they can constantly graze on a lush green grass background.



I hope you are going green, too!
Carlene

2 comments:

Mommyto3andahusky said...

I love the deviled egg quilt! Love it

Carlene said...

I'm glad you like it. It makes me happy every time I work on it!