Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cool ties in progress


I have started another group of cool ties
 for servicemen and servicewomen in Afghanistan and Iraq
 for the American Legion Auxiliary. 
I should have started sooner....
as summer is already here, but better late than never.
I start with 17 yards of 45" wide 
cotton unbleached woven Moda 200 
which I dye with Tan Rit dye to a safer sand-colored one. 
All 17 yards are ironed and ready for cutting. 
Seven cuts 5" wide from selvedge to selvedge yield 7 Hugs.


Two 6 1/2" cuts from selvedge to selvedge
 (and then cut into 14 - 6 1/2" squares) 
become 7 Kisses. 
Using scissors I round off the corners of the 160 - 6 1/2" squares.


Sew the Hugs along the long side from one end to the other. 
Then at one open end roll the seam into the middle
 and sew across it using a 1/4" seam allowance. 
Using the piece of PVC pipe and dowel, 
I turned the 80 Hugs inside out 
and then pressed over the 1/4" seam allowance at the open end 
and crimped folds 10" from the two ends. 
The crimps are where I will sew 
after the 1/2" teaspoon of Watersorb has been added.


I matched up two circles (Kisses),
 sewed them together using a 1/4" seam allowance
 but leaving a 1" opening for turning,
turned them inside out and pressed them 
while tucking in the 1/4" seam allowances.
 After adding 1/4 teaspoon of Watersorb, 
I sew across the 1" opening to sew them shut. 
They're done.

A Hug,
 a Kiss, 
instructions for soaking
and a Thank You for Your Service 
are slipped into each snack baggie. 

They are all ready for mailing.







1 comment:

tagskie said...

hi.. just dropping by here... have a nice day! http://kantahanan.blogspot.com/