Thursday, December 25, 2014

I'm still alive and blogging again after almost a five-year hiatus!

Hello, friends!  

Several years ago I had an idea to make 
six different quilts featuring Civil War reproduction fabrics. 
 This photo is of the top half of one of these quilts.
I just finished piecing the blocks and 
sewing two sets of 25 blocks together tonight. 


Is it a pattern from the 1860's?  Who knows?  
I can't find the pattern in 
the Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns 
compiled by Barbara Brackman.  

My friend, Lenor Davis suggested the pattern 
could be described as a modified fence rail.  
Good idea.

My friend, Kathy Brooks from near Chicago, Illinois 
had made a quilt using this pattern years ago.  
 I just know I liked the pattern and I had to make it.

* * * * * * 

Here are photos of some of 
the other quilt tops and completed quilts 
 I have pieced in 2014.

* * * * * *

I purchased two kits named Hanky Panky 
at the Pine Needles Quilt Shop in Cedar Rapids, Iowa 
and made this large queen quilt top.  
It is one of the 45+ quilt tops awaiting my machine quilting.  



* * * * * *

I purchased two layer cakes of the "Collage" fabric line 
and pieced this couch quilt which was a Christmas gift 
for my niece and her husband, Brittany and Doug Loudenback
 who live in Connecticut.  

I used the Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorial 
named "Cheerio" for my instruction.
I quilted it on my new Statler Stitcher and 
was pleased that it arrived at its new home before Christmas.  




* * * * * *

I had a generous selection of fabrics
 from the "Wordplay" fabric line 
and used them plus some of my other fabrics
 to piece two couch throws/wall hangings
based on the "Cheerios" pattern, too.  

After Statler Stitcher quilting, 
they were gifts this autumn to my sisters
Jo Anne Souza in Connecticut
 and Judy Steeve in Clarinda.



Well, it is time for me to retire tonight.
  My goal is to begin REGULAR blogging. 
 I hope you come back and 
find blogs every single week in 2015.

Merry Christmas! 
Carlene


No comments: