Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Merry Christmas to you and yours!


Hello! You are probably thinking...what a sad looking little.....potholder? Well, I made this "potholder/trivet" many years ago. I had taken a photo of my childhood home and transferred the details onto graph paper. Using old fashioned tube paints I traced the lines onto muslin. After batting and backing, I handquilted the details in and machine sewed on the brown binding and hanger.
I know it is not much to look at. But when I see it, the memories of childhood and Christmases past are there.
In 1961 my mother gave us a "stereo" with two swing out speakers and one 45 RPM...."Big Bad John" by Tennessee Ernie Ford. We listened to it hundreds of times. Even now we five can still sing that song.
One year there was a stretch of bad weather and school was cancelled. My mother said since we were staying home, we should use the time to make gifts for each other. Someone made a little figure, but discarded it as a failure. My little sister rescued it and put it into a bandaid box. It became a "jack-in-the-box". Someone made a fish out of gold felt and stuffed it. I still have that little pin cushion. Christmas was so simple then.
When I was twelve, she gave us each--all five--a toddler doll. I helped set out the gifts. There were only four. I was so happy the next morning to see a fifth one. She always treated us each equally. What a wonderful gift that was. I still miss her. She always made Christmas special.
Mostly we had real trees. One year we went to Blanchard to my Uncle Clif and Aunt Jennie Martin's farm. We all got on a wagon pulled behind his tractor and went out into a field to pick out a tree. We found the perfect one and had a scary ride as the tractor and wagon slid down a hill in the snow.
And we can't forget the baking. So much came out of that little kitchen....Grace Hartstack's Oatmeal Coconut cookies, Spritz (Christmas trees, red poinsettias, golden stars, brown camels) cookies, fudge, divinity and pecan joys.
Surely we played Christmas carols on that Kimball piano. We all took lessons. I did for 8 years. Alas, if I had only practiced, I might have been able to play today.
And what I remember most....the love.
May you have it in your home this year and next.
Carlene

No comments: